The Foundation Course for degree students is designed by experts to equip them to crack UPSC Exams in future. The students will be given training in public speaking, group discussion, leadership activities, debates and interview skills. We also aims to cater the budding civil services aspirants at their graduation level by charting out a long-term coaching curriculum to crack the Civil Services Examination successfully. The Foundation Classes are conducted on Saturdays and Sundays. It begins in the month of August every year.
Civil Service Foundation Course - Degree Level
The Civil Service Foundation Course – Degree Level is designed to:
- Three year course for graduation students.
- Cover all the subjects/topics in the syllabus of Examination in-depth.
- Equip the students with the basic preparation strategies for the Civil Services examination
- Help the students develop the problem solving, analysis and decision making skills necessary to crack the Preliminary Examination.
- The course methodologies followed helps in developing the aptitude to crack various other competitive government examinations.
- Classes conducted by persons who has attended civil service mains and interview
- Monthly current affairs module after every month in pdf format to Enrich the general knowledge quotient of students.
- Classes based on Ncert syllabus to help the students in excel in academies also.
- Debate sessions to enhance the public speaking skills and analytical capabilities of students.
- MCQ based test series strictly adhering to UPSC standards
- Google Classroom based assignments
- Personal one to one doubt clearance sessions
- Foundation Course for college students is designed by the team of experts for school class students who want to crack UPSC exams in future.
Highlights Of Our Classes
1. ANCIENT INDIA
- Pre-historic Period: Palaeolithic Period or Old Stone Age; Mesolithic Age or the Late Stone Age; Neolithic or the New Stone Age.
- Proto-Historic Period: Indus Valley (Harappan) Civilization (2600-1900 BC): Origin and Evolution; The Extent; Important Centres; Major Characteristics’; Decline; Chalcolithic Settlements.
- The Vedic Age: The Aryans; Early Vedic Society (1500-1000 BC); The Rig-Vedic Polity; Later Vedic Period; Post-Vedic Period; The Position of Women.
- Sixth Century BC to Fourth Century BC: Pre-Mauryan Period: Sources of Information; Emergence of New Social Groups; Polity.
- Jainism: Doctrines of Jainism; Sects of Jainism; Spread of Jainism; Decline of Jainism;
- Buddhism: Gautama Buddha; The Decline of Buddhism; Other heterodox Sects.
- Mahajanapadas: Emergence of Mahajanapadas; List of Mahajanapadas and Their Capitals; Rise of Magadh; Persian Invasion;; Milieu of Religious Movements: Socio-economic Developments; Alexander’s (Greek ) Invasion.
- The Mauryan Empire (321-185 BC): The Mauryan Conquests; Land Revenue; The Urban Economy; Society and Religion; Ashoka’s Policy of Dharma; Mauryan Administration; Downfall of the Mauryan Empire; Mauryan Art.
- Post-Mauryan Age (200 BC-AD 300): (India after the Mauryas): The Sungas (185-75 BC); Local Powers; Hunas; The Kanva Dynasty (75-30 BC); Chedi Dynasty of Kalinga Chetas; The Satavahana Dynasty (230 BC-220 AD); The Shakas (90 BC-100 AD); The Parthians (247 BC-224 AD); The Kushanas (AD 45-73); North-Western India; Impact of Central Asian Contacts; The Deccan; Sculptural Art.
- Age of the Guptas: Rise of the Guptas; Sources of the Gupta Rule; The Dynastic History of the Guptas; Political Background; Chandra Gupta; Samudra Gupta (AD 335-376); Chandra Gupta II (AD 376-412); Gupta Administration; Revenue Administration; Trade and Towns; Society; Art and Architecture; Literature; Science and Astronomy; The Success of the Guptas; The Age of Smaller Kingdoms; Decline of the Guptas.
- Post-Gupta Era: North India; Deccan and South India; The Kingdom of South India.
- Harshavardhan (AD 606-647).
- The Sangam Age: The Sangam Era; Sangam Age Sources; The Early Kingdoms; Socio-Economic Life in the Sangam Age; Sangam Literature. The Epics.
- Branches of Geography: Physical Geography; Human Geography; Economic Geography
A Study Of The Earth
- Origin of the Earth: Nature of the Matter Forming the Earth; Geological History of the Earth.
- The Earth and Its Position in the Solar System: The Solar System; the Shape and the Size of the Earth; Location on Earth Surface and Latitude and Longitude; Some Important Parallels and Meridians; Great Circles and Small Circles; Motions of the Earth and Their Effects; Inclination of the Earth’s Axis and Its Effect; Local and Standard Time and the International Dateline; The Solar and the Sidereal Time.
- Calendar: The Earth and the Moon; Eclipses and Phases of the Moon; Moon and Tides.
- The Lithosphere: Interior Structure of the Earth; Layers of the Earth; Materials of the Earth’s Crust: Rocks and Minerals; Classification of Rocks.
- Landforms: Landforms of the First Order—Oceans and Continents; Tetrahedral Theory; Continental Drift Theory; Plate Tectonics Theory; Seafloor Spreading; Landforms of the Second Order; Plains; Plateaus; Mountains.
- Forces and Processes Affecting the Earth’s Crust: Internal Forces and their Impact; Volcanic Activity; Types of Volcanic Activity and Volcanoes; Volcanic Features; Distribution of Volcanoes; Diastrophic Forces and Earth Movements; Folding and Warping; Faulting; Earthquakes; Earthquake Waves; Earthquake Shadow Zone; Origin of Earthquakes; Tsunami; Isostacy.
- External Forces and Their Impact: Weathering; Types of Weathering; Processes involved in Chemical Weathering; Biological Weathering.
- Erosion: Landforms made by Rivers; Landforms made by Glaciers; Landforms made by wind; Coastal Landforms; Landforms made by underground water or Karst Landforms.
- Soils: Pedogenic Regimes; Classification and Distribution of World Soils; Classification and Distribution of World Soils; Major Soil Types; The Soil Taxonomy Used by US Soil Conservation Service
- Atmosphere & Geological Phenomena: Composition; Insolation and Temperature; Atmospheric Pressure; Winds; Humidity; Clouds; Precipitation; Rainfall; Air Masses; Fronts; World Climatic Types and Their distribution; Changes in Critical Geographical features (including water bodies & icebergs); Flora and Fauna, and Effects of such Changes.
- Hydrosphere: Hydrological Cycle; Oceans and Seas; Temperature and Salinity of Ocean; Ocean Currents; Coral Reefs; Marine Resources; Various Ocean Developments Programmes in India; Govt. Institutions Regarding Research and Development in Ocean; Lakes; Wetland.
- Social and World Geography: Race; Aborigines of the World; World Population; Human Development; Migration; Settlement.
- Natural Resources of the World: Distribution of Natural Resources across the World; Factors Responsible for Location of Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Sectors. Land Resources; Forest Resources; Water Resources; Mineral Resources; Energy Resources.
- Agriculture: Introduction; Major Crops; Modern Agricultural practices.
- Industries and Industrial Regions: Industries: Factors Influencing the Location of Industries; Important Industries of the world; World Industrial Regions; Industrialisation in the Developing world.
- Transport and Communication: Transport: Roadways; Railways; Air Transport; Water Transport; Pipeline Transport. Communication: Mass Communication.
- Continents of the World: Asia; Europe; North America; South America; Africa; Australia; Antarctica.
3. ENVIRONMENT AND ECOLOGY
General Issues on Environmental Ecology
- Introduction: Physical Environment; Biotic Environment—Interaction among Organisms; Ecosystem; Ecosystems and Human Interference.
- Energy Resources: Non-renewable Energy Resources; Renewal Energy Resources; Energy Conservation.
- Biomes and Natural Vegetation: Biomes and Vegetation; Major Biomes of the World; Importance of Forests; Deforestation; Conservation and Management of Forests; Forest Survey of India (FSI); India State of Forest Report 2013; National Forest Policy; Forest Conservation Act 1980; National Forest Commission; Global Forest Policy.
- Depletion of Natural Resources: fishing; Logging (the felling, skidding, on-site processing and loading of trees onto trucks); Mining.
- Anoxic Waters: Causes and Effects; Anoxic Events; Hypoxia; Dead Zones.
- Solid and Hazardous Wastes: Solid Waste; Hazardous waste.
- Environmental Pollution: Pollution; Pollutants; Kinds of Pollution; Air Pollution; Ozone Layer; Noise Pollution; Radioactive Pollution; Water pollution; Water Pollution; Thermal pollution; Marine pollution; Soil and Land pollution; e-Waste; International Efforts to Protect Environment; Environment protection in India; National River Conservation Plan.
- Overpopulation: National Burial; Water Crisis; Overpopulation in Companion Animals; Tragedy of the Commons.
- Natural Hazards and Disaster Management: Natural Disaster; Man-made Disaster; Disaster management; Disaster Management in India.
4. INDIAN POLITY & GOVERNANCE
- Making of the Constitution: Historical Background; Constitutional Developments; Creation of the Constituent Assembly; Objectives Resolution; Drafting; Enactment of the Constitution. Objectives of Constitution. Sources of the Constitution.
- Preamble and Features of Indian Constitution: Parts and Important Articles of Constitution; Salient Features.
- Union and Reorganisation of States: Integration of Princely States; Dhar Commission and JVP Committee; Provisions regarding Territories in the Constitution; First Linguistic State and State Reorganisation Commission; New States and Union Territories created after 1956.
- Citizenship: Provisions for Citizenship; Acquisition and Termination of Citizenship; Amendment of Citizenship Act; Commonwealth Citizenship; Single Citizenship; Dual Citizenship for People of Indian Origin; Voting Rights to NRIs; Significance of Citizenship.
- Fundamental Rights: Introduction; Need and Importance of Fundamental Rights; Features of Fundamental Rights; Classification of Fundamental Rights; The Writs; Suspension of Fundamental Rights; Special Rights; Writ Jurisdiction of Supreme Court and High Courts; Parliament’s Right to Amend Fundamental Rights. India as a Secular, Democratic State; Important Cases.
- The Directive Principles of State Policy: Introduction; Difference between Directive Principles and Fundamental Rights; Important Directive Principles; New Directive Principles; Directive Principles in Practice; Relationship between Directive Principles and Fundamental Rights.
- Fundamental Duties: List of Duties; Significance of Fundamental Duties.
- Union Executive: The President: Powers and Functions of the President; Constitutional Position of the President of India; Vice-
- President: Powers and Functions.
- Prime Minister and Council of Ministers: Role of the Prime Minister as the Head of Government; Difference between Cabinet and Council of Ministers; Cabinet Committees.
- The Parliament: Constitutional Arrangement and Provision for Parliament; Lok Sabha; Rajya Sabha; Presiding Officers of Parliament; Sessions of Parliament; Joint Sessions; Powers of Parliament; Privileges of Members; Legislative Procedure in Parliament; Budget in Parliament; Vote on Account; Parliamentary Committees; Parliamentary Terms; Motions in Parliament.
5. INDIAN ECONOMY
- Introduction: Branches of Economics; Classification of Economy; Social and Economic Development Index; Human Development Report; Sustainable Development; Millennium Development Goals; Economy of India; Sectors of Indian Economy.
- Economic Development: What is economic Development? Growth and Development; Government and Economic Development; Government’s Role in Economic Development.
- Measuring Economic Growth and Development: National Income and Per Capita Income; Physical quality of life Index; Human Development Index; Gross National Happiness; World happiness Report; Green GDP.
- Planning for Development: History of Planning; Types of Planning; Development Strategy; An Assessment of India’s Planning Experience; NITI Aayog; National Development Council; Five Year Plans.
- Sustainable Development: Introduction; Agenda; The Earth Summit Rio+10; Rio+20—United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development; The Conference of Parties (CoP 21)—Paris Agreement; India’s Strategy on Sustainable Development; National Action Plan for Climate Change (NAPCC); India’s Response to Paris Agreement (CoP 21); United Nations Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Poverty: Concepts; Poverty and Public Policy; Inequality and Vulnerability; Measurement of Poverty; GDP Per capita; Head Count Ratio, Poverty Gap and Poverty Severity Index; Expert Groups for Estimating Poverty and BPL families; SECC 2011; Poverty among Indian States; Universal Basic Income (UBI).
- Inclusion: Concepts; Inclusive Growth; Financial Inclusion; Gender Exclusion; Persons with Disabilities (PwD).
6. POLITICAL SCIENCE
International Organizations and Regional Groups:
- Bretton Woods Conference
- International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- SAARC, ASEAN
- European Union (EU).
- Government Policies and Intervention for developments in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- Development processes and the development industry—role of NGOs, SHGs, Various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders.
- Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of these schemes.
- Mechanisms, laws, institutions and bodies constituted for the protection & betterment of these vulnerable sections.
- Various issues relating to development and management of social sector/ services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources.
- Issues relating poverty and hunger.
- Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies, minimum support prices.
- Issues related to buffer stock and food security.
7. PRELIMS PAPER II (CSAT)
- Decimal Number System; Roman Number System; Fundamental Operations; Puzzles.
- Special numbers like Prime numbers, Square and Cube numbers; Square roots, Cube roots; Operations on all of them; Units of Measurements.
- HCF and LCM and problems based on them.
- Ration & Proportion; Fractions; Percentage.
- Problems based on the above three topics.
- Averages and problems based on the topics.
- Cost price, Selling price, Profit percentage, Discount, etc.
- Problems based on the above.
1. MEDIEVAL HISTORY
- Early Medieval India (750-1200 AD): Features of Early Medieval India; Kannauj after Harsha; Ayudha Rulers of Kannauj; The Palas of Bengal; The Senas of Bengal; The Rashtrakutas in Deccan; Contributions of the Rashtrakutas; Southern India; The Cheras; The Rajputs in Northern India; The Paramaras of Malwa; The Solankis.
- Arabs and Turks: Arab Conquest of Sindh; Impact of Arab Rule in Sindh; The Ghaznavis; Mohammed Ghur.
- The Delhi Sultanate: Foundation of the Muslim State; The slave Dynasty (1206-90 AD); The Khilji Dynasty (1290-1320 AD); Market Control and Economic Reforms; The Tughlaq Dynasty (1320-1412 AD); The Sayyid Dynasty (1414-51 AD); The Lodhi Dynasty (1451-1526); Administration in the Sultanate Period; The Iqta System; Economy of the Sultanate Period; Relations between the Hindus and the Muslims.
- The Emergence of Provincial Kingdoms: Bengal; Orissa; Kashmir; Gujarat; Malwa; Jaunpur; Marwar; Amber.
- The Vijayanagara Empire: Origin of the Empire; Sangama Dynasty (1336-1485); Decline of the Sangama Dynasty; The Saluva Dynasty (1505-1570 AD); The Aravidu Dynasty (1570-1652 AD); Vijayanagara Administration; Vijayanagara Society; Bahmani Kingdom; Independent Kingdoms of Deccan; Art and architecture.
- Religious Movements in Medieval India: Sufism in India; Important Sufi Saints; Bhakti Movement; Some Important Philosophers; Nirguna and Saguna Saints; The Sikh Gurus.
- The Mughal Empire: Mughal Rule; Babur (1526-1530); Humayun (1530-1556); Shersha’s Administration; Akbar (1556-1605); Jahangir (1605-1527); Prince Salim’s Rebellion; Shah Jahan (1627-1658); Aurangzeb (1658-1707); Sikh Revolts; Later Mughals; Mughal Administration; Provincial Administration; Mansabdari System; The Jagir System; Methods of Land Revenue Assessment; Jagirdari Crisis; Categories of Agriculturists; Military Organisation of the Mughals.
- The Maratha Empire: The Marathas; Shivaji (1627-1680); Maratha Administration; Maratha Power under the Peshwas; Baji Rao I (1720-1740); Maratha Confederacy
2. ART AND CULTURE
- Introduction to Indian Culture: Culture; A Pre-view of Indian Culture; Characteristics of Indian Culture.
- Language and Literature: Indian language Families; Other Indian Languages and Indian Literature; Indian Literature in English.
- Religion and Philosophy: Proto-historic Religion; Ancient Indian Religions; Theistic Religions; The Schools of Indian philosophy.
- Art and Architecture: Meaning of Art; The Indus Valley Period; Mauryan Art; Indo-Islamic Art and Architecture; Mughal Architecture; Post-Mughal Architecture; European Influence on Indian art.
- Indian Painting: Cave Paintings; Madhubani Paintings; Kalamkari Art; Patachira Paintings; Kalight paintings; Batik Paintings; Lepakshi Paintings; Mughal Paintings; Rajput Paintings; Rajasthan Paintings; Pahari Paintings; Miniature paintings; Kulumandi Paintings; Mysore Paintings; Tanjore Paintings.
- Music, Dance and Drama: Development of Music in India; Famous classical singers of India; Emergence of Dance in India; Well-known Dancers of Modern India; drama and Theatre; Modern Indian theatre; Puppetry.
- Festivals and Fairs: State-wise Fairs and Festivals of India; Some Famous Fairs.
- Crafts: Crafts of India: Crafts in Various Phase; Classification of Crafts; Kinds of Handicrafts in India.
- Indian Cinema: The Era of Silent Films (1913-31); Pre-Independence Talkies (1931-47); Post-Independence Films (1947- ); Various Types of Indian Cinema
3. INDIAN GEOGRAPHY
- Introduction to Indian Geography: Location; Area and Extent; Administrative Divisions; Geological Aspects of India.
- Physiography: Relief and Physiographic Divisions; The Himalayas; The peninsular Plateau; The Indian Desert; The coastal Plains; The islands.
- Drainage System: Types of Drainage System in India; The Himalayan Rivers; The Peninsular Rivers; Lakes; National Water Grid.
- Climate: Characteristics of Indian Climate; Important Concepts about Origin of Monsoon; The Mechanism of the Indian Monsoon; Seasons; Rainfall Distribution in India; Droughts and Floods; Indian Meteorological Department (IMD).
- Soil and Vegetation: Soil: Major Soils of India; Natural Vegetation of India; Types of Vegetation; Classification of Forests in India; Wildlife in India.
- Agricultural Science: Major Crops, cropping patterns in various parts of the country; Different types of irrigation and irrigation systems; Storage; Transport and Marketing of Agricultural produce and issues and related constraints, e-technology in the aid of farmers.
- Population and Settlement: Population: Enumeration of Population in India; Population Growth since 1901; Census 2011; National Population Register (NPR); Migration; Tribes of India; Scheduled Castes; Settlements and Urbanisation.
- Resources: Human Resources; Natural Resources; Mineral Resources; Energy Resources; Conventional Sources of Energy; Renewable Energy programmes and Schemes in India; Water Resources; Marine Resources; land Resources in India; Forest Resources.
- Agriculture: Agriculture in India; Cropping Seasons; Green Revolution; Problems of Indian Agriculture; Fertilizer; Live Stock and Dairy Farming; Pisciculture; Sericulture, Horticulture, Floriculture.
- Irrigation: Irrigation in India; Types of irrigation Technique; Irrigation Projects in India.
- Transport and Communication: Transport: Roadways; Railways; Air Transport; Water Transport; Pipeline Transport. Communication: Mass Communication in India. Trade.
- Remote Sensing; Aerial Photography; Remote Sensing Satellites and Satellite Data products; Space Imaging Programmes; Meteorological Satellites; Radar systems; Lidar; Indian Space programme; Indian Remote Sensing Satellites; Indian Launch Vehicles; Indian Space Research Organisation.
- Biodiversity: Levels of Biodiversity; Importance of biodiversity; Biodiversity Hotspots of the world; Biodiversity in India; Conservation of biodiversity; Biosphere Reserves; Environmental laws in India; Coastal Regulation zone (CRZ).
- Biodiversity and Man: Biodiversity and Human Health; Biodiversity: Business and Industry; Leisure, Cultural and Aesthetic Value; Other Services.
- Wildlife in India: Lion Reserves in India; Latest population of tigers in India; List of endangered species in India; Wildlife Conservation Organisations; World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
- Chemical Threats to Biodiversity: Chemical Toxicology; Toxic Chemicals in Air; Toxic chemicals in water; Toxic chemicals in Soil; Important Chemical Toxicants; Toxicity caused by nano materials and nano particles; Contaminants present in leaking gasoline; Human waste treatment; Priority list of hazardous substances; Classification of toxic substances.
- Spotlight: Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear disaster; Pollution in Delhi; Recent developments; Latest developments.
- Saviours of Biodiversity: Green Chemistry; Combinatorial Chemistry; Computational Chemistry; Supra-molecular Chemistry; Biocatalysts; Biomaterials; Bio mimetics; Biopolymers; Bio assemblies.
- Conservation of Natural Resources: Species Extinction; Pollinator Decline; Coral Bleaching; Holocene Extinction; Invasive species; Poaching; Endangered Species.
5. INDIAN POLITY
- Constitutional Amendments: Meaning of Amendment; Procedure for Amendment; Important Constitutional Amendments.
- The Supreme Court: Introduction; Appointment of Judges; Composition of the Constitution Bench; Independence of Judges; Removal of Judges; Jurisdiction of the Supreme Court; Judicial Activism; Public Interest Litigation; Judiciary vs Legislature.
- Constitutional Bodies: Election Commission; Public Service Commission; Finance Commission; National Commission for SCs; National commission for STs; The Attorney General; Advocate General of India.
- Statutory and Non-Statutory Bodies: National Human Rights Commission; National Commission for Women; National Commission for Minorities; National Commission for Backward Classes; National Law Commission; National Green Tribunal; National Consumer Redressal Commission; Central Information Commission; State Information Commission; National Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission; State Consumer Redressal Commission; District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum; Armed Forces Tribunal.
- Regulatory Bodies: Advertising Standard Council of India; Competition Commission of India; Biodiversity Authority of India; Press Council of India; Directorate General Civil Aviation; Forward Markets Commission; Inland Waterways Authority of India; Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority; Reserve Bank of India; Securities and Exchange Board of India; Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal; Telecom Regulatory Authority of India; The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India; Central Pollution Control Board; Financial Stability and Development Council; Medical Council of India; Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority.
- State Executive: Introduction; The Governor; Powers of the governor; The Chief Minister; Council of Ministers; The Advocate General.
- State Legislature: Legislative Assembly; Legislative Council; Powers of the State Legislature.
- High Court: Introduction: Transfer of Judges; Jurisdiction of High Court; Administrative Tribunals: Family Courts; Lok Adalats; Gramin Nyayalas; Subordinate Judiciary: District Court & Lower Courts.
- Indian Federalism and Relations between the Union and the States: Indian Federalism; Unitary Features; Co-operative Federalism; Centre-State Relations; Sarkaria Commission; M. M. Punchhi Commission; PV Rajamannar Commission; Zonal Councils; North-Eastern Councils; Inter-State Councils.
- Comparison of Indian Constitutional Scheme with that of other countries—Britain, USA, Canada, Ireland, Australia.
6. INDIAN ECONOMY
- Gender and Development: Introduction; Women Empowerment; National Policy for the Empowerment of Women (2001); Some Indicators of Gender Equality; Gender Budgeting; Draft National Policy for Women, 2016.
- Demographics: Introduction; Population Growth; Age Composition of the Population; State-wise Demographic Profile; Salient Features of Census 2011; Significant Changes; Alarming Sex Ratio; Population and Development; National Population Policy 2000; Why is India’s population growing?; Strategies.
- Agriculture: Role of Agriculture in Indian Economy; Agriculture and Five –year Plans; Green Revolution in India; Major Agricultural Revolutions; Finance and Credit Facilities; Irrigation and Fertilisers; Foods Processing Industry; Agriculture Insurance; Promoting Green Economy.
- Industry: Role of Industry; Industrial Policies and Acts; Companies Act 2013; Index of Industrial Production; Government Measures to Promote Small-scale Industries; Navratna and Maharatna Companies; Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises; Industrial Sickness; Industrial Growth; Central Government programmes.
- Urbanisation: Introduction; India’s Urban Scene—Some Projections; Issues in urbanisation; Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Housing for All (Urban)[PMAY-HFA]; AMRUT; Smart Cities Mission; National Investment and Infrastructure.
- Public Finance: Fiscal Policy; Union Budget; Taxation Policy; Indian Tax Structure; Public Expenditure; Deficit Financing; Black Money; Fiscal Federalism; Finance Commission; Fourteenth Finance Commission; Economic Survey Report (of Government of India).
- Money, Banking and Monetary Policy: Monetary Policy Theory; Indian Monetary Policy; Functions of RBI; Foreign Exchange management; Capital Account Convertibility (CAC); Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA); Money Market Instruments; Indian Financial System; Indigenous Banking; Commercial Banking; Capital Markets and G-Sec; Insurance Sector.
- Foreign Trade and Foreign Exchange: Historical Background; Composition of Trade; Direction of Foreign Trade; Foreign Trade Performance of India; Foreign Trade Policy, 2015, 20; Trade Composition; The Foreign Exchange Reserves; Foreign Direct Investment (FDI).
7. INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
- India and its Neighbourhood Relations
- Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and public affecting India’s interests.
- Effects of Policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests.
- Indian Diaspora.
- Important International Institutions, agencies and forums, their structure and mandate.
- Public Service Values and Ethics in Public administration
- Status and problems, ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions, laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical and moral values in governance;
- Ethical issues in International Relations and funding;
- Corporate Govern
8.PRELIMS PAPER II (CSAT)
- Simple Interest, Compound Interest and related problems.
- Clock and Calendar problems.
- Simple Equations, simultaneous Equations and Quadric Equations.
- Pigeon Home theory and introduction to Permutation.
- Permutation and problems.
- Combination and problems.
- Probability and problems.
- Data Interpretation based on tables.
- Data Interpretation based on diagrams, pie, charts and graphs
1. MODERN HISTORY
- India in the 18th Century: Rise of Autonomous States; Factors Responsible for the Creation of New States; Social and Economic Conditions in the 18th Century; Life in the Early Century.
- The Coming of the Europeans: The Portuguese; The Dutch; The English; The French; British Occupation of Bengal; The Nawabs of Bengal; The Battle of Buxar; The Sikhs.
- The British Administrative Structure and Economic policies: Acts and Amendments; Civil Services and judiciary.
- Peasant and Tribal Movements: Peasant Uprisings; All India Kisan sabha; Tribal Rebellions; Other Important Uprisings.
- Governors-General and Viceroys of India: Governors-General of the Company; Governors-General of India; Viceroys of India.
- Growth of Modern Education in India: Wood’s Despatch 1954; Hunter Commission or Indian Educational Commission 1882; Indian Universities’ Act 1904; Saddler Commission 1917-19; Hartog Committee 1929; Wardha Scheme of Education 1937; Sargent Plan 1944; Kothari Education Commission 1964; University Grants Commission (UGC) 1953.
- History of Press in India: Press Laws and Regulations in British India; The Vernacular Press Act 1878.
- The Revolt of 1857: Causes of the Revolt; Outside Influence on the Revolt of 1857; Impact of the Revolt/Mutiny; The Government of India Act 1858; Reorganisation of the Army; Significance of the Revolt.
- Socio-Religious Reform Movements in India: Causes for Socio-Religious Reform Movements; Reforms and Their Leaders; The Brahmo Samaj; The Young Bengal Movement; The Prarthana Samaj; The Arya Samaj; The Theosophical Society; Other Significant Hindu Reform Movements; Reform Movements among Muslims; Sikh Reform Movements.
- Rise of Indian Nationalism: Factors for Rise of Nationalism; Impact of Modern Education; The Programme and Activities of the Early Nationalists.
- Struggle for Independence—First Phase: Formation of Indian National Congress (INC), 1885; Moderates and the Era of Early nationalists (1885-1905); Rise of Extremism in Indian Politics; Partition of Bengal, 1905; Swadeshi Movement, 1905; Surat Split, 1907; Foundation of Muslim League; Revolutionary Activities during World War I; Home Rule Movement in India, 1916; The Gandhian Era in India.
- Other Political Trends during Indian national Movement: Communist Party of India (CPI); Formation of the Congress socialist Party.
- Struggle for Independence—Second Phase (1919-1927): Government of India Act 1919; Rowlatt Act 1919; Khilafat Act 1919; Non-Cooperation Movement 1920.
- Struggle for Independence—Third Phase: Simon Commission; Nehru Report; Nationalist Party; Civil Disobedience Movement; Salt Satyagraha (Dandi march); Gandhi-Irwin Pact; The Poona Pact.
- Struggle for Independence—Fourth Phase: August 1940 Offer; Cripps Mission (April 1942); Quit India Movement (August 1942); Subhas Chandra Bose and INA; Cabinet Mission Plan, March 1946; Interim Government; Mountbatten Plan (3 June 1947); Partition of India; Important National Leaders.
2. WORLD HISTORY
- History of the World—Including events from the 18th century such as Industrial Revolution, World Wars, Re-drawing of National Boundaries; Colonization; Decolonization; Political Philosophies like Communism; Capitalism; Socialism, etc.; Their forms and effect on the Society
3. CLIMATE CHANGE
- Climate Change and Global Warming: Climate Change; Continent-wise Effects of Climate change; Global Warming; International Efforts on Climate Change and Global Warming; Land Use and Climate Change; India and global Treaties.
- Theories of Climate Change: Hypotheses based on Solar variations; Astronomical Hypotheses; Atmospheric hypotheses; Terrestrial Hypotheses.
- Global Warming: Mitigation of/and Adaptation to Global Warming; Differing views; Indian response to climate change and global warming.
- Ozone Layer Protection.
- International initiatives on Climate Change
- Sustainable Development: Sustainability; Origin of Sustainable Development; Parameters of Sustainable Development; Objectives of sustainable Development; Sustainable Agriculture; Biotechnology.
4. INDIAN POLITY
- Civil Services under the Union and States: Classification of Services; Public Service Commissions; Civil Servants and Fundamental Rights.
- Provisions for Minorities, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
- Official Language: Hindi as Official Language and Use of English; Regional Languages; Classical Languages.
- Jammu and Kashmir: Special Status for Jammu and Kashmir; Constitution of Jammu and Kashmir; Demand for Abrogation of article 370. Jammu and Kashmir Resettlement Act; Special Provisions with respect to Other States; Act 371, 371 J
- Salient Features of the Representation of People Act: 1950 & 1951 Acts; Electoral Reforms; the Model Code of Conduct; Delimitation; Anti-Defection law; Pressure Groups; Interest Groups.
- Local Self Government: Institution and Evolution; Panchayati Raj; The Municipalities; Urban Local Self Governments in India.
- India as a Secular, Democratic State: Equality of Religions; Representative Democracy; devices of Direct Democracies; Initiative, Referendum, Plebiscite Recall.
- Constitutional Amendments: Procedure; Important Amendments: 1st, 7th, 24th, 25th, 26th, 42nd, 44th, 52nd, 61st, 69th, 73rd, 74th, 86th, 91st, 92nd, 94th, 97th, 9th, 100th, 101th.
- Important Cases: Keshavananda Bharati Case; Minerva Mills Case; Bijoe Emmanual Case; Indra Sawhney Case; Lily vs Union of India.
- Commissions: Constitution Renewal Commission; Justice Mallimath Commission; First Administrative Reforms Commission (ARC); Second ARC
- Important Acts: The Right to Information Act 2005; The Right to Education Act 2009; Domestic Violence Act 2005; Protection of Civil Rights Act 1955; Scheduled Caste & Schedule Tribe Prevention of Atrocities Act 1989; Consumer Protection Act 1986.
- Electoral Systems and Elections: Electoral System; Electoral Procedure; Electoral Reforms; Elections held in India Since Independence; Highlights of the Lok Sabha Elections held so far. Anti-Defection Law; Political Parties; Registration of Political Parties; National and Regional Parties.
- Important Aspects of Governance: Transparency & Accountability; e-governance—Applications; Models, Successes, Limitations and Potential; Citizen Charters, Institutional and other Measures
- New Policy Initiatives on Issues of Governance:
6. INDIAN ECONOMY
- Government Initiatives in Social Sector: Social Security; Persons with Disabilities; Women and Child Welfare; Welfare Schemes for Scheduled Castes; Welfare Schemes for Schedules Tribes; Welfare Schemes for Minorities; De-notified, Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Tribes (DNT).
- Food and Agriculture: Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies, minimum support prices. Public Distribution system: Objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping.
- Food Processing and Related Industries in India, scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
- Infrastructure and Industrial Sector: Effects of liberalisation on the economy; changes in Industrial Policy, effects on industrial growth. Infrastructure; energy, ports, roads, roads, airports, railways, etc.
- Investment Models—Technology Missions—Economics of Animal Rearing.
7. INDIAN SOCIETY
- Indian Society—Salient Features & diversity of India
- Role of women & Women’s organisations
- Population and Associated issues
- Poverty and Developmental issues
- Urbanisation—problems and remedies
- Effects of globalization on Indian society
- Social empowerment, Communalism, Regionalism and secularism
- Probity in Governance; Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of Governance and probity
- Information sharing and transparency in governance
- Right to Information
- Codes of Ethics; Codes of Conduct
- Citizen charter
- Work culture
- Quality of Public Service delivery
- Utilisation of Public Funds
- Challenges of Corruption
Case Studies of above issues
- Important Land Reforms in India.
- Role of Civil Services in a democracy.
9. PRELIMS PAPER II (CSAT)
- Introduction to Analytical Reasoning
- Analogy; Coding and Relative Odd man out
- Linear and Circular Arrangements; Rearrangement of letters/digits
- Direction; family relationship; Symmetry; Rotation, Reflexion; Dice
- Symbolic representation of fundamental operations; Inequalities and relations
- Number series and odd man out
- Letter series and odd man out
- Observations based on chain of digits, symbols and letters
- Numerical data analysis
- Arrangements based on family tree, time interval
- Matching and practice sessions
- Data sufficiency
- Logical conclusions and syllogism
- In-put out put exercises
- Analytical decision making